Sunday, January 9, 2011

Very Unusual Necktie Art

Ocean Beach San Diego necktie artist says she just wants to get people thinking


Just when I thought that I had seen everything possible about neckties, well at least read.  I sure wish I had a photo of this - Jeffrey Hunter

By Andy Castagnola

Friday, December 31, 2010 at 10:04 p.m.

check out the story and the video on
SIGNON SAN DIEGO  signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/31/ocean-beach-necktie-artist


OCEAN BEACH — Who’s the person behind the fashionable conversation piece that’s sprouted at Monaco Street and Sunset Cliffs Boulevard?


Her name is April Cromer, a local artist and jewelry and clothing designer. And she answered a few questions about her unusual necktie-on-a-pole street art.

Q: How many ties are on there?
A: I didn’t even count. I would guess like 75.

Q: Have people been adding their own ties to the pole?
A: It’s street art, so it’s up to anyone to take a tie or add a tie or do whatever they want with it.

Q: Have you ever done public art before?
A: Not at this scale, no. I’ve always been interested in street art.

Q: Why neckties?
A: Well, I guess to be completely honest, I was trying to get rid of a bunch of art supplies. I got this idea to put them somewhere where everyone can enjoy them, instead of sitting in an art room collecting dust. … I decided to figure out how to tie a double-Windsor and go down there and do it.

Q: Why on a street pole?
A: I wanted it to be somewhere where people were going to see it on their daily walk, somewhere that has a lot of foot traffic. … O.B. has always been home for me. … I wanted it to be in a place that was familiar to me.

Q: What do you think when you see it?
A: It’s my little contribution to the community. O.B. is such a kooky, crazy place. … I love seeing random pieces of art wherever I go. It changes your environment, makes you see things differently, makes you ask all these questions.

Q: What kind of response have you gotten?
A: I’ve been there a couple of times since I put it up. I was down there today and saw this woman walking her dog and two kids. … It was cool to be connected with other people in community; hopefully they’re inspired to make something of their own.

Q: How long will you leave it up?
A: I plan on leaving it there until the city decides to take it down, or when the ties are taken on their own adventure. I really have no intention of taking it down.

Q: How long have you lived in San Diego? What’s your profession?
A: I grew up here. I went to San Francisco for school for a while. I went to art school. I have a small clothing and jewelry business … and I use found objects repurposed into wearable works of art. I sell at the O.B. Farmers Market on Wednesdays.

Q: What’s next for you?
A: I have a lot of fabric that I’d like to do something with. Not enough ties to do another tie pole. I want to mix it up. I can’t say what the next step is. My friends say I should make a gigantic tie and hang it from electrical wires. It’ll be whatever comes to mind.

MY COMMENT ON SIGN ON SAN DIEGO: PLEEEEAASSSSEEEEEEE what is all the fuss. Well - I think that this fantastic. It is a wonderful thing that a simple thing like tying a few ties on a tel pole could cause such a stir. It is definitely art and if those who can only speak negatively about it then a reality check is in order. Maybe they are jealous that their own creative efforts never amount to anything. Andy Warhol already proved that anything could considered as artwork.

Now the real question here is if it were bras or under wear would there be less of a controversy. Maybe not, maybe more, but surely because so many men are afraid of neckties and the serious demeanor that they represent the uproar is loud and clear.

Can some please send me a photo of this unique necktie street sign artwork so I can post it on my blog http://nicetiestore.blogspot.c... Jeffrey@nicetiestore.com


Visit Ties.com to buy quallity neckties

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here